Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

procedure to setup dump terminal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlineravee

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
IN
hi,
tell me how to install/setup the dump terminal(via serial connection).tell me the procedure....

advance thanx
ravi

hi crowe..
sco open server unix ver. 5

ravi

Are you meaning a "dumb" terminal or "dump" terminal.

Actually it doesn't matter.

To enable a login session on a serial device:

modify /etc/conf/init.d/sio or other file depending on your serial port, for the initial baud rate. This can be a letter or number that refers to an entry in the /etc/gettydefs file. You will need to make this change in the /etc/inittab file as well initially. The inittab file is recreated from all the files in the /etc/conf/init.d directory when you rebuild the kernel environment (usually done when the kernel is rebuilt).

once you have the baud rate defined then you have to enable the port:
enable ttyXXX

replace ttyXXX with the appropriate device name for the port.

This tells the getty process to start monitoring the port for activity and issue a login prompt.

hth
stan

hi stanhubble ..

thnk q for ur tips...

regds
ravi

We ahev an hp computer which was working fine be last weekend before a powercut. I rebooted on Monday and can login as superuser. But noone can login as a user.

We have a server which I have no access to, but we can logon in other unix systems without any problem.

Our system adminstrator is on holiday.

Can you guess where to look at?
What is lost.
/etc/password file is fine.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back