Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procedure to change IP, SUBNET MASK & D.GATEWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

21sam

MIS
Jul 20, 2005
US
i want to change one of my LPAR's IP, Subnet and Default gateway.

can you guys help to get standard procedure..

i have couple of auestions in my mind...
do i need to reconfigure my tcp/ip, routing table entry??

does it affect my other networking configs like DNS, Sendmail configuration etc..?

this server is moving from dev/test to production that's why they want to put it into different network..

advance thanks for your help

If you're changind to another subnet you may have to change your routing table. It will also depend if you have static routes and what will be your new gateway.

For sendmail are you sevrer or client ? In this last case you have mainly to check if the server will be still available of maybe you'll have to use a new one. Same problem for the DNS

i do have dynamic routing table not static one.
i am running oracle database on this server and from DNS point of view. this server is just one among the other clients that added to our dns server.

i not know about sendmail client or server?

i just refreshed my sendmail subsystem to notify cron jobs to users.

could you give an outline what i supposed to do on NIC config?
for example:
1)i need to down the ethernet adapter first?
2)can i bring the adapter with new IP, Smask and DGateway?
or do i need to take care other configs before i proceed?
3) my network admin will take care about configurations on network side...(i.e. port location, switch config etc..)
4)in addition i do have more than one nic cards on my lpar.
what about other nics....do i need to change something?

advance thanks for your reply

-For sendmail you may have a look to the DS parameter in your sendmail.cf to be sure your not the server, if you just use sendmail to send notification mail, you just have to be sure your sendmail server will stay available when you'll have your new ip configuration.

-With Oracle just check your listener configuration to be sure it's configured with the hostname and not with the ip adress.

- You dont need to shut down your nics to change those IP parameters, just go to smit tcpip menu and chage them online.

- For other NICS be careful about IP formarding. Does one of the differents networks your are connected on have to stay with no routing possibilitues for security reasons. You also may be a gateway yourself.

thank you so much for your extended help to look into different areas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back