Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

procedure for securing against fired employee 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfbtr

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hello-
I need to present some procedures to the ceo regarding firing an employee and protecting against data damage or theft. Anyone have experience with this?
thanks.

There is no real protection nowadays with things like jump drives. What I've done in the past is require people sign a document when hired stating what was acceptable internet behavior and unacceptable behavior. Once they've read it and signed it, you have something to fall back on legally. Just include the fact that any kind of data damage or theft will be dealt with severely. Also, make sure when the person is fired, the user account is disabled before hand, and the fired employee is not left alone. Make sure someone stays with the person while they collect there things, then walked to the door. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
If you're from the Chicago land area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

I'd add that if the person had any rights beyond normal user on the network, that those were removed from the account even before the account is deleted.
If they were in posession of any administrative level passwords they should be changed immediately, as should any door codes for sensitive areas. Likewise, if their ID card is one that doubled as a key, permitting access to restricted parts of the building (eg IT server room), get that revoked and ensure that they return any company property that they used while working for the organisation (phone, PDA etc as they can hold data).

John

assuming that the person whose employment is to be terminated is not the result of IT infractions the above posts are pretty much in line with precautionary practices.

however, if the person is being terminated for IT infractions i assume you have documented the reason(s) or evidence of misdoings.

if you do not have sufficient IT evidence/cause, then you might want to take a step back and do so.

also, if the termination is for IT infractions, then you should take possession of his/her PC, remove the hard drive and document the chain of custody so if it ends up in a law suit you will be best prepared.

the preceeding para should be done the night before you fire the person and he/she should be met at the door first thing in the morning and not allowed to enter the work area. you should have all of their "personal items" in a box for them to take with them.

finally, if you are just now getting around to this "procedure" you should take a look at all of your IT procedures and ensure they are given to all employees, signed and enforced. afterall, you cannot fire someone for something they were never told was against company policy.

you should have all of their "personal items" in a box for them to take with them
Not a good idea. The person being fired could say, "I had money in my desk and it's not in the box! Where is it?" Insert whatever you want where money is, but the points the same. DON'T touch the persons belongings. Let them in, but have someone with them.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Assuming the person is in IT, the 7x24 operations group should be notified (and others as well, depending on how the organization is divided). You wouldn't want the terminated employee to do some "social engineering" by calling an unknowing operator.

-glenn

thanks for the replies.

what about restricting email to internal only?

What exactly do you mean? You're not talking about the fired person I'm guessing. Do you mean in general? The signed do's and don'ts would cover e-mail also. I've seen people fired for sending sexually explicit e-mails, and they were internal, so internal e-mail doesn't mean much.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

i was thinking about a planned termination- restricting their email to internal only.

Why plan? Just do it. The only planning necessary is the steps that were well pointed out in this thread. Waiting to fire someone? Never heard of it. Waiting to lay someone off (with the intent of never rehiring) is only a little different.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Waiting to fire someone? Never heard of it."
happens all the time. a company has to gets things straight to fire somebody, especially in kalifornia.

anyway, i'm trying to cover all aspects of a leaving employee, not just a fired one. why plan? why leave anything to chance and risk forgetting something? my ceo doesn't operate on a "just do it" basis, that's why he asked for my written procedures.

If you give them only internal e-mail in advance, they may realize something is wrong. This may set them up to start doing things. Don't do a thing until the day they are fired, and make sure all bases are covered well in advance. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back