Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procedure for reporting IE crash bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the correct procedure is to report IE problems.

At work, we've found a bug that will cause IE 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 to crash dead, and take the CPU time up to 100%. It involves no scripting whatsoever, replying purely on HTML and CSS.

We do not know if it is possible to exploit this crash, but would like to report it anyway.

I can't find an obvious link for potentially serious issues on the MS website, and have had little joy reporting bugs to them before. Would using something like SecurityFocus.org be a better bet?

Thanks,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

At work, we've found a bug that will cause IE 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 to crash dead, and take the CPU time up to 100%. It involves no scripting whatsoever, replying purely on HTML and CSS.

Would that be clicking on the big blue 'e' in the Start Menu?

;-)

flame on!

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Heheh.. no... and for obvious reasons, I don't want to post the code to show the issue ;o)

Imagine having all scripting disabled, but still be guaranteed to bring IE to a grinding halt - pretty shocking, really.

I contacted securityfocus (well - emailed their webmaster, as they have no "report an exploit" link), but have heard nothing back.

I can only assume that no-one cares if there is a new potential problem out there. Lucky I'm not an "e-terrorist" - I'd have given up and released it by now!

Dan

[/tt]

Imagine having all scripting disabled, but still be guaranteed to bring IE to a grinding halt - pretty shocking, really.

I don't see your point. ;-)

Seriously now though - can you mail it to me puretty purlease?

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Well - after a few emails back and forth, they have decided that because I cannot show how it can be exploited, then it is not considered to be an exploit. This, despite the fact that it will bring IE and CPU to a halt on any box with scripting disabled.

Maybe I should post the code, so that every "l33t hax0r" under the sun can work out how to exploit it, then they might do something to fix it.

I never thought I'd see this "ostrich approach" from such a big corporate.

What can you do?!

[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back