Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probs with Epox 8KHA+ mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

paychek

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
I have had the Epox 8KHA+ for quite a while know and it has ran fine. Just recently I upgraded and wanted to put my Epox into my brother's computer. After I installed it into his case, I powered up the computer and noticed that the BIOS ran Post extremely slow. After seeing this I unplugged/took-out all the uneeded hardware (soundcard, Nic, ect.) so that the only devices that were plugged into the mobo were the hard-drive and DVD-Rom. I also went into the BIOS and loaded the default setting. I rebooted and I noticed that RAM check went fine but when it was detecting the Primary and Secondary IDE devices it took almost 3-4 minutes. It was able to find the harddrive and DVD rom but I got a messages that states, "Primary IDE Channel no 80 Conductor cable installed". After getting this I thought the cable was bad so I tried 3 other 80 pin IDE cables I had. This was not the case. I still keep getting this message. The other funny thing is that after displaying this message it will eventually go to the next screen and hang up there. I am not really sure why it is doing this. It was working just fine before I placed it into the my brother's case.

Mobo:Epox 8KHA+ w/ VIA 266A chipset
BIOS:Award Modular BIOS
BIOS Version: v6.00PS

Processor: AMD 1800+
Ram: 1GB DDR 2400
Hard-Drive:Seagate Barricuda 40GB
Video (AGP): Geforce3
Floppy:(Not installed, but have one handy)

What system is the hard drive from? Is it from your old system or your brothers? If it from your brothers you will need to format and reinstall the operating system, as all the drivers and settings will be different from one board to the next.

circo

The hard drive that is currently in my brothers system used to be mine. Before the upgrade, my old system was as follows:
Mobo:Epox 8KHA+ w/ VIA 266A chipset
BIOS:Award Modular BIOS
BIOS Version: v6.00PS

Processor: AMD 1800+
Power Supply: 350 Watt
Ram: 1GB DDR 2400
Hard-Drives:2 Seagate Barricuda 40GB (One Master, Other Slave)
Video (AGP): ATI 9700
CD/DVD ROM: Pioneer DVD
CD Burner: PlexWriter 24/10/40
Sound Card: Audigy 2
Floppy:Yes

When I got my upgrade, I gave my brother my motherboard, processor, RAM, one Seagate Barricuda drive, and power supply. Everything else I kept for my new system. At the moment, the only devices that are connected to the mobo are the barricuda drive and his DVD rom.

I was able to reformat the hard drive before my BIOS started to show signs of trouble... There are some other things that have changed since my last post... I am able to boot from a CD but it take the BIOS almost 10 minutes to get to the point at which it trys to find a bootable device. This being said, I have been able to format the drive using NTFS. When the Windows setup trys to reboot to continue the setup, it won't boot from the hard drive. The other odd occurence is on random reboots, it will not detect either of the Promary IDE devices. Usually on the second reboot it will see the devices again. I am also still getting the message, "Primary IDE Channel no 80 conductor cable installed" during the IDE device detection phase of the POST process.

you might try one hard drive on primary ide set as master then one dvd on secondary ide set as master. Be sure your board is not grounded by a stand off. Check in your bios to see what it detects as far as drives go.
luck
circo

Circo
Thanx bro, your idea worked! We are installing xp now. Thanx again.
paycek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back