Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

probs after insatlling win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroach

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2001
GB
ive been trying to install win 98 on my new computer. everything fine at first. when booting up it it wouldnt boot from the IDE. i formatted the drive again and reinstalled windows. everything fine, put ms Workssuite on and then started putting my ISP cd on. when rebooting a message came up saying the file COMMAND.COM is lost or corrupted and again it would not boot from the IDE, my questions are:

a. is there a way to boot to windows from my start up floppy? as it tyakes me to the start with or without CD support screen.

b. is there a to fix the problem with put reformatting and reistalling windows? ive tried just reinstalling windows and scan disk goes for hours then it says checking registry and does nothing else.

any help much appriciated

redroach

Start up with your boot disc in ( without cd rom support )
At the A: prompt , type sys c: and then press ENTER.

Restart your computer.
--------------------------

DOS's Scandisk can sometimes do better . Invoke your Start-up menu
(Toggle F8 or press Ctrl key during bootup), choose Command prompt only (NOT
Safe mode Command prompt), then at the C: prompt , type Scandisk /all & press Enter .
When finished , type win & press Enter .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back