Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with windows shutdown! And CPU heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiyaTiya

Technical User
May 17, 2002
SE
When i shut down my windows (98Se) it just gets to that windows screen and then it freezes...then i have to shut it down manually! i had the same problem on windows ME so it's probably some hardware thing...

and another problem!

i installed win 98Se instead of ME a few weeks ago and when i had win ME my AMD Atholon 900Mhz was about 65 degrees celsius but after installing 98Se it went up to 75 degrees when i'm only using my internet! how come it's hotter now?

could that have to do anything with the shutdown problem?

And what is the normal temprature for and AMD Atholon 900Mhz? i've heard that AMD usually are pretty warm but that hot?

O.k.

As a on site computer technician Windows 98 shutdowns problems are a common problem I recommend that you go to the microsoft web site and download the Windows98 shutdown supplement.

As to the temperature how are you measuring it? I have found in many cases that the motherboard temperature sensors can be rather incorrect and in many cases plain wrong. In my experience I have found that the AMD chipsets do run much hotter than Intel. To test the safest way is to run the computer to when you beleive it hot, then with the case open shut down the computer - unplug it from the wall outlet- now earth yourself to the case by touching it and simply using the back of your finger feel for the temperature of the cpu heatsink if it burns it is runnig very hot (as per you post) or if just very warm I would consider that to be normal.

Note - for some bizzare reason some techs like to use the wall plug as a earth and in fact some are taught this. It is not needed, by simply earthing yourself to the case you will not short out any part of your computer as there is no potential difference between yourself and the computer.

Let me know how you go - happy computing :)

I have that shutdownupdate from Microsoft and that didd'nt help!

And for the temprature i am using the program that came with my motherboard (ASUS something) and even if it would be wrong it still has gone up 10 degrees!

and opening and feeling on it wouldent be such a godd idea...iopened it before after running it for about an hour (browsing the web) and when i came close to and it was really REALLY warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back