Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with windows 10 anniversary update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffallon1

Technical User
Nov 24, 2006
US
After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on a laptop connected to a secondary monitor, whenever I have to restart windows, parts of the background are missing showing partial section in black. I have to turn the PC off and do a cold start to correct it.
Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks, rclarke250..but I tried that already...drivers are up to date. I heard that MS is aware of this problem and is working on a solution...not sure if that is true or not...if it is true, I hope they release a patch in my lifetime...I am 62 so it might be a stretch...LOL

I don't know if this connected or not, but my Logitech webcam produces an error message like "Launcher_Main.exe has caused an error."

I've done all the usual with drivers, but clearly updated ones are need. in fact Logitech's diagnostic app produces a similar error message and won't run.

Here's my (standard) reply from Logitech:

Thank you for your inquiry. We are sorry that you’re experiencing an issue with your Logitech webcam.
We have discovered that this is linked to a change Microsoft made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition where support of compressed MJPG and H.264 streams for webcams was dropped.
Microsoft is working on an update to address the issue, but at this time we do not have an estimate for when it will be available.

Warm regards

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

The webcam issue is very specific to a change that Microsoft made to the CODECS allowed to be used by all USB webcams and how they enforced that. As your Logitech support email says, MS grudgingly admitted perhaps they went too far on this, and the webcam issue is supposedly going to be fixed in September patch.

I've still not been offered Anniversary yet ...

Oh, I know where to get it, thanks. But I'm happy to wait for it to turn up by itself.

If only there was a guide from MSDN for developers spelling out some of the changes. So far I've bumped into a few changes in existing APIs by accident, and a very few new APIs your applications can opt into. At this point I only know of one potential breaking change and it only occurs if you opt into a new behavior.

But at this point the only meaningful discussion I've seen had to be sneaked out past the MSDN Gatekeepers via a TechNet Blog, of all things!

Display Scaling changes for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Maybe others have found a bit more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back