Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Win2k clients running Legato Networker

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
EU
We've installed Legato Networker server on Compaq server running TruCluster 5.0. Most of clients need to work under Win2k professional and server platforms.

I've been login as system admin user (on domain level with admin and backup privilleges) at one of Win2k machines and installed client part of Networker software (account_1). Than I configured host tables both on Win2k and Unix side (Networker client and server), than I created client on Unix side for particular Win2k machine.

At that time I left blank Remote Access field on Unix side.

My expectations was that Networker server will deny a backup procedure form PC to server, because of my account on PC wasn't enetered in Remote Access field on server side.
On contrary, my backup request started from PC side was executed succesfully on server side - I made a backup of couple directories from PC onto storage tape library (which is under control of Networker server).

Than I performed a login procedure under another account name (account_2), but with the same privilleges and with same administration rights. Now I want to start backup procedure once again, but now client reported that it's not possible to find Networker server (host file was the same as in previopus attempt).

Then I've logged out and log in once again but as account_1. I've de-installed Networker client.

Then I've logged out and log in once again but as account_2. Now, I performed a fresh installation of Networker client and now whole procedure passed - backup was done.

And finally, by changing login procedure a little bit for account_1 at this moment I was in position to run backup with account_1, as well as with account_2.

But, when I log in with account_3 - everything failed. What does it mean? That I must perform installation procedure for every account which need to perform backup procedure from particular client PC ? It looks like that client somehow "remember" who performed installation ???

During whole procedure Remote Access field on server side is blank.

Kind regards,
Sasa Danicic

Networker has to be installed with system permissions.
The backup is also done by system user. Maybe this can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back