Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with w32tm and net time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGlinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
I've noticed that in my Event Viewer, there are reoccuring warning and error messages showing up on a daily basis. The warnings and errors are of event ID 62 and 64.

64 (the warning) reads - "Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again. No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network connectivity is restored. Accumulated time errors may cause certain network operations to fail. To tell the time service that network connectivity has been restored and that it should resynchronize, execute "w32tm /s" from the command line."

62 (the error) reads - &quot;This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.&quot;

I have tried to do some preliminarey research into this problem, and I've already tried running &quot;net time /setsntp:tock.usno.navy.mil&quot; but that hasn't fixed anything.

Care to help a 49er?

Ian

I found that stopping and restarting the time service on the PDC fixed my similar problem right up.

tom11011 has a point. Restarting the time service on the PDC fixed my event id's 62 and 64. Thanks tom11011!

Hey.. a very good site for event ID errors is

You put in the event number and the source, press Enter and then you receive a long list of possible suggestions.

Regarding your specific problem: Doesn't sound like you have designated an authoritative time server OR the server that is the time server is not online. The best way to test this is to launch DOS and run the following command:

net time

You should get a message saying:
&quot;Current time at \\server is 7/30/2003 12:51 PM&quot;

When you do not get this, you need to (re-)elect an authoritative time server. Best thing is you download this document and read. It has everything about the windows time service you ever wanted to know :)

Also.. this article explains setting a time server step by step:

Note however that you do NOT absolutely have to synchronise your domain controllers with the military time servers. You can note the current time, set it on the main dc using

net time /set

elect the server as a time server and then synchronise all the other servers to it using the same command.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back