Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with W2K SP4, ATI vid and nforce drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk1976

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2003
US
Hi -

I currently have an Athlon 2100 on a DFI Lan party NFII Ultra MB. I recently got an ATI 9600XT video card, and the latest drivers said W2K SP4 was required. SO I installed SP4, and started having problems.

I narrowed it down to these symptoms: The motherboard requires the installation of nforce drivers because of all the built-in hardware on the board (ethernet, raid, sound, etc). When running SP4, when I try to log into the machine after entering my password, instead of the screen coming up saying "loading your personal preferences", it goes right back to the login screen. If i load into safe mode, it works fine, and if I then remove the nforce drivers in safe mode, I can then load into windows normally and log in without a problem.

I uninstalled SP4, installed SP3, and the problem doesn't seem to reoccur - so there's apparently a conflict of some sort with the nforce drivers and Windows SP4. Anyone else seen this?

Can you try turning of the nviadia helper service byt right clicking on my computer,manage,services? Ensure that you disable its startup.
See if that makes a difference.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back