Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Video Driver files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopman

Technical User
Mar 21, 2001
US
I just fdisk my hard drive and was loading my video software drivers when I selected the wrong driver by mistake. I then right clicked on desktop and selected Properties-Settings-Advance to load the right drives. It worked, but now when I boot up I get a message that these files are still in the registry and that I should remove the program to remove then from the registry. I don't know how to remove the video files in the registry. There are three files that it listed and when I hit space bar it will pass by them and boot OK. Can someone help?

Sopman

Check the program list in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Install/Uninstall to see if the incorrect video driver software is listed.
If so, then remove it, and restart the computer if prompted.

If you have any problems afterwards, then start in Safe mode, uninstall all of the video driver software, and reinstall just the correct one.

It wasn't listed in the control panel (Add/Remove). Two questions: How do I start in Safe mode? And how do I know which ones are video driver files and where to find them so I can remove them?

Sopman

If the above suggestion doesn't work, run MSCONFIG.EXE, click on the "Startup" tab, locate the offending driver(s) and un-check the box next to it/them.

If you feel comfortable editing the registry do the following to remove them permanently:

1. Run REGEDIT.EXE and navigate to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" key.
2. Locate each offending data line and delete it.
3. If they are not loaded under that key, check a little further down in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices"

Thank You, that worked. A star is given...

Sopman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back