Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with the MSBLASTER patch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmurado

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2003
AU
When I try to load the patch it gives me a file is corrupt message. Where should I be running the patch from?

And do I really need it? Our Firewall only has 80 and 21 open--does the worm affect it still?

Yes you really should download and install all security updates. Machines that don't have these patches are the kind of machines that hasten Viral spread and P%^5 us all off ;)

Have you tried re-downloading the patch.

Which brings me back to the first two questions--where should I be running the .exe from--can I just do it from the desktop on the NT machine? Thanks for your help.

Sorry, yes. You should be able to download the patch onto your desktop and run from there, or even over the network.

Thanks mate--what do you reckon the file corrupt was about?

No idea to be sure. I've downloaded a couple of files that just corrupted on the way down before.

Hey, anyone have a easy way to deploy this patch to a mixed NT/2000/XP environment? Looked at microsofts website and they have a VBS script that will help install it, but it seems to complicated to install it or modify it to include NT40.

A batch file that checks OS version and runs the particular file is all you need in a logon script.
Port 80 is used by the Welchia virus and the blaster patch is the same to fix that problem. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back