Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with static /ports command and E-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2001
US
Having a little problem with mapping a single outside address to multiple inside address using the static command with ports specified. I have an outside address (208.10.114.1) that is specified in DNS as our Web and E-Mail server. I need to map this address to 2 separate servers on the inside LAN. Using the following config, I believe I have figured it out:

static (inside,outside) tcp 208.10.114.1 255.255.255.255
static (inside,outside) tcp 208.10.114.1 smtp 1.0.1.16 smtp netmask 255.255.255.255

access-list acl_inc permit tcp any host 208.10.114.1 eq www
access-list acl_inc permit tcp any host 208.10.114.1 eq smtp

This appears to work, and the web requests go through, but there is an interesting problem with the E-Mail. The PIX appears to be assigning the E-Mail connections a NAT address and the mail server doesn’t recognize them. When I blow away the ports and just use the IP address, it appears to treat the address as a PAT and works with out a problem.
I would rather not go through the hassle of changing the DNS entries. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back