Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with sockets across a RAS connection. (VC++)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMagee

Programmer
Oct 28, 1999
GB
We are developing a CE application that that has to exchange files with a remote server (over a RAS connection)behind a firewall using FTP. Because the CE Ftp api is only supported on Intel processors we have written our own (for MIPS). The solution works fine if the device is actually connected to the LAN that the server is on but if it is connected across the RAS connection is rather more flakey. We get a lot of 10053/4 (socket closed by remote host) socket errors but the actual RAS connection is not dropped.<br>

<br>

Has any body any experience of these problems and/or know of anything that needs to be different at a socket level if you are connecting over a dial-up connection as opposed to directly on the LAN.

Hi SMagee!<br>
<br>
I use sockets all the time, but I haven't done anything with MIPS or CE. I think you might want to ask on the Winsock mailing list (please post any answers back here for those who aren't on that list). A couple of the people there wrote the WinSock spec, and the list is monitored by several people at Microsoft.<br>
<br>
You can join and also search the list archive at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
I suggest you search the archive first, as they tend to ignore questions that have been answered frequently.<br>
<br>
Chip H.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back