Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with SiS 7001 / USB and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ospre

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
GB
I am running XP home on a 2.0 GHz system with SiS 7001 for the USB.

However, the machine keeps hanging, especially on boot up. I have a printer and USB hub attached to one of the four USB ports on the machine.

When the machine hangs all of the lights on the printer come on and all of the lights on the USB hub go off. You can move the mouse around but can't click on anything. The only way out is to reset the machine.

I've tried plugging in the USB hub to other ports and the problem is still the same. If I remove the USB hub and in facta ll USB devices the machine still hangs. From the device manager when looking at the USB devices I have

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

I've been told that if I disable one the problem goes away, however, I'm reluctant to try in case the machine permanently hangs and I can't get back into it.

Has anybody else had similar problems or can they offer solutions?

Thanks,

Nick.

I'm having like the same problem, only different. I just upgraded to XP. I have a HP PSC 750. I plug in the printer, it is not auto detected. I have the correct entries in device manager. I have tried to find patches from SIS for this, but most are no longer available. I have done everything I can to correct this, but no dice.

I feel for ya!

Well since I posted that I've managed to partially solve it. I've come to the conclusion that it's one of the Sis cards that is a fault. If you disable them both no problems the machine runs as sweet as a nut. If you need to use printers or other USB devices just enable it for the time you need them. Occasionally it will crash when enabled but 9 times out of 10 providing you're not doing loads of printing work it runs fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back