Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with setting default gateway on Solaris 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2005
US

I am trying to configure a T2000 running Solaris 10 for basic networking. I can ping and ssh to my gateway, and communicate with other devices on the same subnet but cannot get out past the gateway.

I have the checked /etc/netmasks
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/defaultrouter

and they are configured correctly, is there something I am missing ? Another file that I haven,t looked at?

what does netstat -rn say?
How about ifconfig -a?
When you say "get out", you did take DNS out of the equation, like "traceroute 198.6.1.1", (I know that this IP is tracerouteable).

There are new flags on the interface for Solaris 10, but I don't think they come into play if you are just doing basic stuff.

eugene

netstat turns up nothing.

In Fedora I have to restart /etc/init.d/network for any changes that I made to the netowrk config files to take effect.

I wonder if this is happening because I am failing to do the same with Solaris ?

Solaris is more unforgiving in this respect. You can configure on the fly to test, but generally we reboot to make sure things are working. The new smf services concept (I believe) does not have general networking setup, just daemons.

You did create a /etc/hostname.(INTEFACE)X like
/etc/hostname.hme0 (for the first hme card) or
/etc/hostname.eri0, etc. I assume setup did this
for you.

From what you describe, execute:

route add default YOURDEFAULTGATEWAYIP 1

to add the gateway default route. netstat -rn should show the new route. If that IP is in /etc/defaultrouter, you probably don't need to reboot, just remember to check it the next reboot.
eugene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back