Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with SCO printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
We set up a new server running SCO UNIX Ver 5.0.7, after we added all the users we got a complain that they were not able to print. We use both Vision Services and network printers to print. When a user send a job to print he/she gets the following error message:
"Can't establish contact with the LP print service"
The scheduler IS running and we compared the settings with a working SCO System, and we are not able to find any differences. A search of the web did not gives us any answers

We have never seen this error message, all our "gurus" are unable to give us any help. You guys are our last hope.
Can you help?

Thanks

Joe

are all the maintenance packs installed?
the lpd daemon i think has been updated a number of times.
are you using cups or sysv? (/etc/default/lpd)

if i remember correctly one of the maint paks does install [blue]CUPS[/blue] and this causes issues with lpd and remote printing. I had this problem. I used custom and removed [blue]CUPS[/blue] and everything went back to normal.

Steve Bowman
Independent Technology, Inc.
CA, USA

Friends
Can any one post step by step instructions to use NETCAT
utility instread of LPR or HP print server?
Thanks
Eyedoc1975

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back