Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with scan disk and defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakefreak

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
hey all,
ive been trying to run scan disk and defrag -- i run the normal scan disk then go and run defrag but defrag wont go past 0% (i left it running for about 4 hours) so then i go back to scan disk and try running the through scan disk but that wont finish- it getsto "checking file allocation tables" then it just seems to loop back over and over (i left this running for about 10 hours)btw when im running those programs i have all other programs closed i.e. internet - so help would be much appreciated

wakefreak

First thing to try is to boot into safe mode and attempt the scandisk and defrag there.

ya igot it worked out- i did safe mode then ran scan disc and came up with a 2.4 mil cluster so that took about 9 hours to do then defrag ran without problems (in safe mode)
thnxs for the post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back