Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with saving my scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

clut

Programmer
Jul 7, 2004
US
Hi,

I'm currently building a church, constructed of basic stones. There are only 4 different stones used, but they have been lined up, then duplicated and rotated on one axis, then duplicated again and rotated on another axis etc etc so the original 4 different stones look like lots of different stones all together.

3 trees have been places to the side, the roof in constructed of a simple wooden frame, probably consisting of about 100 cubes in all, and the roof tiles are again simple cubes, although there is approxomately between 500 and 1000 of them.

I'm saving the file as I go, incrementing a number each time, i.e. church_01, church_02, church_03, so if the unthinkable should happen and the computer crashes, I can go back to an earlier version and carry on.

Becase the scene has a large number of objects in, approx 3000 the file was taking about 20 minutes to save.

After this I added a few windows in the walls of the church, simple 4-cube frames, with a single flattened cube as the glass.

Saved the file, took longer to save.

Next I added a fence around the perimeter of the scene, nothing complicated, A fence post was contructed from 2 cylinders, a sphere and a cone. this was multi-replicated about 100 times to enclose the church. I know this is a lot of objects, but they are simple objects.

now, the file is taking about 3 hours just to save.

can anybody tell me why???

I am haveing the same problem. I have a very detailed castle and it takes forever to save. I have been taking parts of the castle and making them in differnt files and transfering them to the main one later. But it hasnt helped. My main file is 120mb. Im wondering if there is something we can do to get our files saved.

Well, the only solution to this is using less objects in the scene. Instead of placing brick by brick on the walls and tile by tile for the roof, try some bumpmaps for the textures of both. The effect can sometimes be even better if you have the right texturework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back