Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with remote desktop thru vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

vifa84

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2005
US
Hello,
When I connect to my work through vpn it seems to hang every few seconds. I set up the network connection on my home computer with encryption enabled and hit connect.. Everything connects fine. I can map one of our network drives and open files on it etc. no hangs it seems.

The problem comes when I try to connect to my office computer using remote desktop through the vpn. After I connect with vpn, I put in the ip of my office computer in remote desktop and hit connect. It connects and the desktop comes up. But, lets say i open a word document and click somewhere in the doc and the curser is blinking, as long as I keep moving the curser it seems to stay connected, but if I let it sit idle for 10 sec or so it hangs for different periods of time anywhere form 10 to 45 seconds, sometimes the network icon blinks at the upper right corner indicating it has lost connetion and then it blinks and connects again( just used word as an example, it does the same thing with everything). I have tried different routers, firwall settings etc without success. I can go from my office to my home computer using remote desktop with no problems at all. It's just using the vpn from home to work. It's like something keeps closing the connection. I can just sit and watch the curser in word and it will bink for a few seconds and stop. then start blinking again then stop. Sometimes after it hangs and reconnects the window pops up from the network connection saying that it is now connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
vifa84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back