Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with print server

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmanyoung

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all,
I recently setup a W2k3 Server R2 as a print server. Trying to go production with it, but running into a few issues. Large print jobs are causing errors on queue. I have 20 printers setup so far. If I setup a workstation to print directly from IP it works fine with the same drivers installed on the printer server. Most of the issues are with Xerox printers. Any ideas? TIA

Newman

Xerox printer drivers from experience are awful. On a contract I was on, the customer outsourced all their Xerox printers to be supported by Xerox themselves. We have had perpetual issues with drivers from generating funky errors to crashing the print server entirely. You could try the following;

1. Try using the PCL drivers instead of the Postscript drivers
2. Although you won't get full functionality, try using the MS supported drivers and not the Xerox enhanced ones.
3. Test the drivers

I like your idea of bypassing windows sharing and printing directly via IP, unfortunately this makes it impossible to perform and queue management.
I would also recommend you contact Xerox support regarding your issues. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back