Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with photoshop clipping path in InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnderek

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I am having problems with the Photoshop clipping path on an image I have placed in InDesign. In photoshop I created a transparent image via the magic wand tool and the export transparent image wizard. When selecting the part of the image to be made transparent (the background), I have tried messing with the tolerance levels and the anti-aliased toggle, but I cannot get the path to perfectly outline the pixels. When I place in ID it looks great against background objects until i apply a drop shadow to the clipping path. When i do this there is a small white outline between the object and the drop shadow. I tried Inseting the clipping path frame a little (like .001") but i cuts out the edges of my image. When I raise the tolerance in Photoshop the clipping path appears wavy on what should be a relatively strait line.

Any Ideas?
Thanks!

What the #$^&! are you using clipping paths for? That is soooo 20th century. [tongue]

InDesign can handle Photoshop transparency, meaning that you can have a Photoshop PSD image layer feather out to transparency - - this is impossible with clipping paths. Forget the export transparent image wizard and just make a background-less PSD file.

- - picklefish - -

I guess i never thought of using PSD files in InDesign. I started this catalog using PM so all my files had to be .tif, plus that is the default file type for our digital camera. I edited out the background to all my images using the polygonal lasso tool and simply deleting the backgrounds. How do I go about making a background-less PSD file? Step-by-step, how would I accomplish this? It is still possible if I have already edited my images?

Thanks for your help!

To create transparency, here's what can be done on future images in Photoshop...
*Load the image.
*Double-click on the layer in the layers palette to make it a real layer.
*Do you background selection as usual and hit delete as usual. Instead of deleting to a background color, you have deleted to transparency (as shown with a checkerboard).
*Save as a PSD file.

To shrink your clipping path so the halo does not appear, here's what can be done on existing images in Photoshop...
*Open the image that you have created with the Transparent Image Exporter.
*Find the paths palette and select the clipping path
*In the paths palette's flyout menu (upper right corner), choose Make Selection.
*Once the selection is made, go to the Select menu>Modify>Contract and choose to contract the selection by 1 pixel (2 or 3 if you have a major halo around the image.
*Choose Make Work Path in the paths palette's flyout menu.
*Name the work path
*Use the flyout menu one last time to choose Clipping Path - - then choose the smaller path you just made.
*Resave the image

It might be a good idea to set up an action to pull these off.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back