Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with parallel ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlaakso

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
ES
I’ve just installed a NetMos PCI parallel card to have two local printers at the same computer. I have an HP Laserjet 1200 that I want to connect at LPT2 and it keeps showing me an error printing to port. If I connect the laser to the LPT1 and an impact printer to LPT2 everything works fine. But I need the impact printer connected to LPT1, and then the laser doesn't work.
Can someone help me ??
Also, is there a way to redirect ports? I mean, like capturing network printers. A way to tell the computer that (for a while) if something is printed in LPT1 it has to be printed in LPT2 ???

Is there a setup utility that came with the card to set port type? Might need EPP or ECP.
Did you have an onboard LPT1 prior to installing the card? Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yes, I did have an onboard LTP1. It's integrated in the mother board. (Hope you understand my english)

And did you disable it? This just to make sure that you don't have anything pointing to that hardware port within the OS. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

No, I didn't disable it. I want both cards working.

Sorry, I thought you had bought a dual port card.
I ran across one like this recently where the printer cable created the problem on a HP6.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

I've found that it often appears to work if you set the on-board port to LPT2 and make the add-on card port LPT1.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back