Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Oracle Install of 9i "could not resolve service name"?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyStee

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
OK, don't flame me for this, but I know almost nothing about installing/using Oracle except how to walk through a few steps on the Universal Installer. The only reason I need Oracle on my machine is to use a 3rd party software to view tables and write simple queries (I'm just a business analyst here). I'm installing Oracle 9i on a computer (using Windows NT) that previously had Oracle 8.0 (I think?). After installing the program (which I think I did correctly??) and copying my TNSnames.ora file from my previous machine, I tried to connect (using the 3rd party software) to an Oracle database and I get the following error:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

I also tried un-installing the previous version of Oracle, but I still get the same error.
Could someone, using very simple instructions, help me troubleshoot or just point me in the right direction? I've tried to use some of the Oracle forums, but I'm having trouble understanding a lot of the lingo.

Am I having trouble because of the existence of the previous version of Oracle?

Thanks in advance!!!

You need to use the 'Net Configuration Assistant' to configure your TNSNAMES.ORA

Although copying it 'should' have worked best to use the tool - its a 'wizard' style so you should have no trouble

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back