Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with optical drives... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrq35

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
hi,

i am running Win2k pro with all latest critical updates. a few weeks ago, both the CD and CDRW drives have stopped working. i can open the trays and i see the led come on, but the computer refuses to recognize any CD inserted. i tried different CDs that are working on other PCs. i un-installed the drives and re-installed. i removed the hardware then used plug-play to re-install. i disconnected them from the mother board. switched connections. nothing helps. Device Manager says both are working properly.

the rest of the PC is fine. is it the mother board?

thank you.

i tried your suggestion and it did not help. i insert a CD into one of the drives, then click on that drive icon in windows explorer, and i get the message "please insert a disk into drive xxx".

thanks again. but can you explain why you think the problem is related to automatically running CD-ROMs?

If the autorun service was working properly the disk would look for an autorun.inf, and failing to find one would at least read the directory contents without prompting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back