Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with OMA and Activesync in Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurs

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
Hi. I am having a problem with both Outlook Mobile Access and OTA Activesync. Outlook is able to access Exchange, and OWA works fine from both the LAN and the internet. However, neither OMA nor Activesync OTA work. The server in question is running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 and Exchange 6.5 SP2. I am set up to use SSL, integrated / digest / basic authentication on the virtual directory, and no forms-based authentication on the Exchange server. Each AD user has mobile access and web access enabled.

When trying to access OMA, I browse to I get a login box, which I enter credentials in (same credentials used for OWA), and then the browser works for 5-10 seconds and displays the following:

"A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator."

The same thing happens from browsers on the LAN and internet.

Activesync on a Windows Mobile 6 device fails with error 0x85030027. I know it's not the WinMo device as I have recreated the problem on a WM6 emulator.

I'm not sure what led to these problems. Activesync was working fine up until a couple of months ago. I have done many web searches on these problems, and followed many suggestions from KBs and others (including reloading certificates, re-creating virtual directories for OMA, disabling SSL, re-enabling SSL, running the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer, etc. etc.), but nothing has worked. I'm sure I'm leaving out some critical information, but I'm happy to respond to any additional questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

I should have also mentioned that the checkbox for "Ignore Client Certificates" is selected.

and no forms-based authentication on the Exchange server.
Why? FBA gives you compression, which is a good thing.

look at the 8th post, from MarkDMac, and verify all permissions.

I should have also mentioned that the checkbox for "Ignore Client Certificates" is selected.
Are you using a third party trusted cert? Or are you just not concerned about security?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks for the lead. I followed the permissions guidelines in that post, and Activesync works! Hallelujah.

OMA, however, is still on the fritz, with the same errors. Any ideas for OMA? The error I am getting is the following:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Server ActiveSync
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3012
Date: 9/24/2008
Time: 5:17:04 PM
User: ARAGORN\IUSR_ARAGORNSVR1
Computer: ARAGORNSVR1
Description:
An error occurred while accessing the Active Directory for user [Internet Guest Account]. Information cannot be retrieved from Active Directory due to an unknown error. Verify that the Exchange ActiveSync Server can communicate with Active Directory, and that the user has a valid account.

Also, FYI, the cert is from Equifax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back