Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

head32banger

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
US
I just recently purchased an ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard. When i connected everything and went to turn on the power, nothing happened. The LED on the motherboad lights up though. Also, the power supply fan does not come on, but i know its not the power supply becuase i tried it with the old power supply that i know works and the same thing happened. My friend and I think its a bad motherboard. Can you help?

Did you set all the motherboard jumpers correctly?

Make sure the power button on the back of the power supply is being turned on. Some cases have this. Also the front button. If you still get nothing then read this. I recently had an experience with a similar motherboard. It too was an ASUS with an athlon processor. When power was applied, nothing at all happened. I followed the manual to the letter for connecting the case controls/lights and still nothing. I got it going after about 6 hours utilizing my experience and an ohmeter. Here's the scoop. The manual instructions for where the connectors connect on the motherboard were wrong. "Yes it was the right manual, model number was on the cover". The case power switch connector was hooked up according to the manual but this was not the correct location for it to be connected to. The power LED, HDD Led, etc. were also wrong. It was the biggest nightmare of my life. However, through perseverance I figured it out. This system is now up and running but I gotta tell you I reserve my comments on the particular motherboard I worked on and it's manual. I was elated that I got it running as no one else could. I was also enlightened and promised myself to steer away from the exact model # of the one I worked on. It is not uncommon for a motherboard to have AN error on it's markings or for a manual to be a little off. This is why websites have errata sheets. But this manual in particular really sucked. All I can tell you is my boss has a whole new respect for my hardware troubleshooting skills and we are both a little wiser. :)

Hello Head32banger,
What are you using for cpu and ram? Also when you
installed this new board did you take notice and remove
any extra "stand-offs" that were not being used? You may have one thats causing a short. I have that same mobo in one of my pc's.

The power supply doesn't have a switch on the back. You just plug it in and its running. I would like to know how how you did that ITperson48. That would help me out alot. Thank you all for your help. Ill mess around with it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back