Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with nested library

Status
Not open for further replies.

asilverblatt

Programmer
Jan 13, 2010
US
On a new site, I need to set up a document library divided into sections, with a label at the top of each section. The only way I've found to make this happen is to set up two regular document libraries, display the first one, choose Edit Page from the Site Actions drop-down, click the Add a Web Part button and insert the second library into the page that already contains the first one. This works, but it introduces some problems.

Management has decreed that only the Type and Name fields should be displayed in document library lists. I implemented that for the first library by creating a new view ("Brief View") that omitted all other fields and setting that as the default view. However, even though I've done the same thing (set up a new view and made it the default) for the second library, it is still displaying the Modified By field in its list. I then went to delete that field entirely from the second library, but for some reason the normal Delete option is not presented for that field. Nor can I manually switch to the new default view for the second library because only the main (first library) has the normal View drop-down.

The file at the attached URL shows what I'm seeing, both in normal view and after clicking on Edit Page.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

I'm working with SharePoint strictly via the browser - I have no idea how to set up or access the SharePoint programming environment, so I need to find a solution that doesn't involve coding.

If you have access to the document / list library view, select settings, edit the existing views by deselecting the columns you don't want to show

I can remove the unwanted fields from all views, and those changes are reflected when the library is viewed on its own page. But for some reason, when it's viewed in the page where it's been inserted as another web part, the unwanted fields return and there is no "View" drop-down list to manipulate. See the attached document for a visual. Part of the requirement is to have multiple separate document lists all appearing on the same page (with a label or other identifying text for each one).

Those modifications require accessing and modifying code, which I don't know how to do in SharePoint. The alternative I came up with was to use folders within a single library to organize documents, and management has approved that choice.

If you are going to go that route, you are better off using metadata to create different categories for your documents and then group by that field.

The following links point to articles (many more can by found using google) that expresses the benefits of using metadata as opposed to folders to organize your data -

HTH

carl
MCSD, MCTS:MOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back