Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with my site in Netscape and Mozilla..

Status
Not open for further replies.

theAntic

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
I've created a site using DreamweaverMX, which of course works fine in IE. But when I view my site in Netscape or Mozilla there are suddenly all kinds of <td> and <table> positioning problems.

For instance, when I first open my home page the body portion under the navigation will either run up into the nav or be spaced a great distance from it. I tried readjusting the cell size percentages and the table height percents, but still had problems.

I found, however, if refreshed the page after it loaded that often the positioning would correct itself. That's fine for me to know but terrible for guests viewing my site. So I looked into an autorefresh script off a Google search and it did the trick for the layout problem... But now it constantly refreshes, erasing data in text fields and logon areas.

So first of all, is there an easy way to solve these positioning discrepancies between IE and Netspace (ie. as in adding heights and widths, or something, to my <td> and <table> tags)? Or is there a way to get my site to refresh once about 10-15 seconds after it loads the first time, so that it repositions all my cells correctly, and then quit refreshing? Does this make sense?

-theAntic

www.etoddt.com​
- theAntic

&quot;as in adding heights and widths, or something, to my <td> and <table> tags&quot;
--...hmmm yes adding actual sizes would help size things wound't u say?!

&quot;Or is there a way to get my site to refresh once about 10-15 seconds after it&quot;
-- please do not.....if u get in the car and start it ones, u do not need to keep turing the key for better performance!

take a look at:
for the table based design.
and to learn some aspects of it all:

All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Ok, the problem really isn't expandibility; my site expands just fine an any browser. And it's not that my page doesn't display correctly, it's that it sometimes doesn't display correctly on Mozilla and Netscape.

Like this, for instance:
Notice how the table in the center doesn't come to the top content area; how the table borders (specified with height=100% attributes) don't reach the top of the table; and that the bottom of the table is also a great distance from the bottom of the page?

Now try refreshing the page a couple of times. Sometimes this resolves the problem.

I've tried adding height contraints in the <td> or <table> tags surrounding the content area in the center of the page, but end up with the same dilemma.

My question may be about fixing display problems where specific height and width values are left to the images and the browser to interpret: for instance, where height=100% or height=500 and the page stretches well beyond 500, or places where <td> tags have valign=top attributes yet don't bring the tables to the top.

Some browsers, IE, will display table data as it expands beyond it's corresponding height attribute by simply adjusting the table or cell to fit.. Mozilla and Netscape seem to try to enforce height attributes regardless of content size.. and it makes the pages display improperly when loading the first time. I discovered, however, that sometimes these display issues onload tend to resolve themselves after a page refresh. Thus my question about refreshing the page after it loads..

Can somebody tell me what might be happening here? Thanks.

www.etoddt.com​
- theAntic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back