Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with my RAID 5 SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuego

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
IT
[peace] Greetings....I have a RAID 5 with 3 IBM HardDisk (cod.9170) each is 8GB they are all in one array and have 0,1,2 as SCSI ID. My operating system is NT4.0 with 6.0 Service Pack.

We finished the space on our three drives, so we needed to add a new hard disk[surprise].
We bought a IBM 18GB SCSI, we wanted to add this HardDrive in our RAID 5 and then rebuild the 4 disks. Is this possible?? because the SCSI Bios only let's me add the disk as a HOTSPARE.
How can i add this Disk to the existing RAID, if i can't is there a way to recreate a RAID with 3 disks 8,5GB each and one 18GB??? Thanxs....

If you can't convince'em confuse'em

you need to buy a 8 gb drive, you waisted your money on the 18gb. drives in a raid array need to be the same size otherwise you loose the other 10GB on your 18GB drive.

Then you can backup your system and rebuild it if your raid controller will not let you add a drive to the container.

OR

Buy another 18GB drive and set the two 18GB up as mirrored and move some of your data there.

OR

just put the 18 GB drive in as a new volume and move the data to it that does not change frequently.

Not indending to me mean but I think your best bet would be to pay someone who knows what to do to come fix this for you, that's part of being managment ;-) I personaly would replace all the drives with larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back