Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with my new CPU and MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renox

Programmer
Aug 22, 2002
GB
Just bought a new motherboard (K7S5A) and a 1.2ghz Duron processor. When i first put them in my machine I got a disk read error after it said that it had read IDE 1 OK.

I have two hard drives, both 4gig and both visible with in the BIOS. Everything in the BIOS was picked up fine, so I decided to take out my slave drive and just try and boot from my primary. Now everything powers up fine but I'm getting nothing sent to the monitor so I can't even see if its working now.

I've tried a different grahpics card (PCI as I have no AGP card) in all of the PCI slots and tried having both hard drives back in.

I know my graphics card is ok and my hard drives as I have just rebuilt my old mother board to post on here. However I am baffled as to why the new one won't work :(

please help! LOL

Check the memory make sure it's good, and is fully seated in the M/B. Boot with only the video card and power supply (make sure the extra plug for the P4 M/B is pluged in to the M/B) Check bios and settings. that's a good place to start.. "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

hello,

I just purchased a ECSK7S5A and I was getting similar results that you were to start (as far as input/output errors). First you need to get the mobo up and running. Like what was posted before:
1) Un hook both hard drives and try to boot to see if your Hard Drive is causing a problem. This won't let you boot to anything but at least you should be able to to the BIOS screen.
2) Reseat your ram
3) Take all cards out EXCEPT video card
4) Make sure all fans are working (ie the heatsink fan on the processor)
5) Clear your CMOS, it tells you how to do this in the manual. I think you pull a jumper off for five seconds then put it back on and reboot.

I've tried everything u guys have suggested but still no luck. The ram works ok with my old board, so does the hard drives and graphics card. I've tried booting without anything in the board except the fx card and tried 4 different sticks of ram. The motherboard takes both DDR and SDRAM, at the momment all I have to try is SDRAM but any of the sticks I have make no difference.

Just curious is there a setting in the bios for AGP/PCI...maybe it is set for AGP only. And how do you know it boot if you dont have video? What OS? And are you trying to put an old hard drive in that has an OS installed from the old MB?

When it first booted up it was set to AGP but I changed it to PCI. The hard drive is an old hard drive that has XP on it and I was hoping that it would boot up from that one.

It did boot up so I could get to the BIOS but now it simply won't send anything to the monitor.

Surely first boot device is IDE 0 and not IDE 1?
Primary IDE channel is IDE 0 and I presume your boot HD is master on primary IDE? so first boot should be IDE 0.
Sorry if I've missed something here guys. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked. Getting the MB to send to the monitor is my first objective, because I obviously can't get to the BIOS at all :(

One thing I have picked up on browseing the MB's manufacturer site is that another MB they make won't send anything to the monitor if there isn't any RAM in the primary slot. Now this is confusing for me as I know the RAM I have is ok as it still works in my old MB. However, this new MB supports both DDR SDRAM and SDRAM. At the momment all I have is SDRAM, which worked when I first booted up the motherboard. Nothing being sent to the monitor has only started since I took out the slave drive.

So I reckon the only thing I can try now is to get some DDR ram and try that.

Do you get any beep codes?

If all else fails, and the board is new and under warranty, send it back and get a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back