Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with my modem on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellomum

Technical User
Nov 15, 2004
GB
Hello,
This is my first post so be gentle with me.

I recently changed my PC from a Windows ME system to A Windows XP system.

I took the PCI Modem that i had been using successfully using on ME and fitted it to my XP system.

I applied my ISP dialler software to my XP system

Although it is recognised in device manager and diagnostics seems to work it will not make the connection to Internet.

As far as I know it is a rockwell sportster based modem (unsure of model number)

Interestingly there is no dialing or modem noise heard as there used to be on ME.

has anyone out there heard of this before and can point me in the right direction as this is very frustrating.

Thanks
G

Let's run a test...

Go to Start and select Run.
Type hypertrm into the Open: field and click OK.

Alternatively, go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications and select Hyperterminal and double-click Hypertrm.exe.

When Hyperterminal starts,type a name for the connection into the Name: field (e.g. "Test"). Use the default icon. Click OK.

Type the number 18882963892 in the Phone number: field. Your modem should be selected in the Connect using: drop-down menu.
The Location: field should be set to your default location.
Click the Modify... and Dialing Properties buttons to check the modem and dialing properties.
After the phone and modem properties have been properly configured, click the Dial button.
You should receive a status message indicating that the modem is dialing. Click Dial Now. The modem should negotiate a connection and the window change to a connection (log on) window.

If you get garbled characters, then you have a modem or line problem, if it doesn't connect, try 1-800-543-3279, and post the results.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks for answering my query so promptly.

I tried everything you listed and still nothing happened.

It may be significant to point out that I am in the UK so maybe the numbers you listed would not work anyway.

My modem is an Aztech MDP3858SP-E PCI card

Windows has the recommended driver installed i.e. ver 2.1.2.171.021.003

XP device manager reports it as working properly and diagnostics works fine. As I pointed out this was working fine in my ME box so I dont think it is the HW.

Is there any significance in the fact that i no longer hear the modem dialing since fitting it to the XP system?

I have double checked the number of my ISP and my password i re-enter before pressing dial.

seems XP does not like me or my modem.

So I am still at a loss.

G

Okay, so hyperterminal into your local isp's pop access number, what happens?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks again,

I tried this last night and recieved the response "No Answer"

Does this mean there is a problem at the ISP end?

Thanks
G

Assuming its dialing correctly, this probably indicates a line or modem problem. Since the one thing that has changed is the OS, I suspect its the modem driver. Reseat the modem to start, just in case its not making proper contact with your mainboard. You can also try to hyperterminal to a different pop number to rule out an isp problem, but I'm betting its the modem configuration.

Did Windows autodetect the modem and load a driver, or did you use a driver disk? Do you have a driver disk with XP drivers? Might be time to pull out the modem and write down any possible model numbers, google it, or go to user name drivers, password all. You can search their driver database, quite extensive.

Matt J.

I found this thread through Google as I was having exactly the same problem as HelloMum! I'd upgraded my PC from Win98 to XP and suddenly the modem didn't want to connect (this despite the new setup apparently being tested by the man who did the upgrade - thanks Neil).

Anyway, following Matt's idea I searched for an XP driver but the one I found wouldn't work.

However, another Google thread pointed to a different driver which is a more generic one for Rockwell modems under XP and this works fine.

He said - After major probs finding a driver
for an Aztech MDP3858SP-W modem using Win XP this driver did the trick. Go to
Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back