Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillR2003

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
Hi all. I have a KDS Visual Sensations monitor that is acting strange. If the computer is off the monitor will say that it is not getting a signal. The message will stay there until the computer is turned on. Which is what is supposed to do. However, when I turn on the computer the monitor screen stays on for a few seconds and then goes off. The power light on the monitor is still green so it is getting the signal from the video card. If I turn the monitor off and then back on the picture will come on briefly and then go off. If I turn the computer off, I don't get the message saying that it isn't receiving a signal. I've tried it with different computers with the same results. Since the message is there until I turn on the signal I am assuming it has something to do with the voltage going through the video cable. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanx

Make sure the monitor's connection is good. Try another monitor to check that the video card and cable are ok. If video is ok, and connections are good, replace the monitor.

Make sure the resolution of your graphics card and refresh rate are not set too high and outside the monitors range.
Start the PC in Safe mode, this will drop the resolution down, if it displays now, you need to take your settings down a tad untill the monitor can handle the signal.
800x600 is a good starting point with a safe refresh rate of 60htz, all modern monitors, 95 on, should be able to display these settings.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The screen goes blank before ever getting into the operating system. So starting it in safe mode doesn't help. It goes blank during the post. And if I turn the monitor off and then back on I see what's on the screen for a second or two before it goes blank again. I'm sure it's a problem with the monitor. I was hoping someone would know if it could be fixed. I don't like throwing something out if it can be fixed. Thank you for your comments so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back