Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with MIME:Base64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

Programmer
Oct 31, 2002
DO
Hi,

I have a problem with MIME::Base64
and I am searching for the error since a lot of days but I do not find it.
Perhaps anybody can help me.....

I have two servers both with Redhat Linux, one with 7.3 and one with 8.0
In the first server I got emails with pdf-attachments and this emails will forwarded to the second server where I try to decode the incoming email-attachment.
But this does not work. The output is very different from the original file. But it works fine if I use webmin and other programs installed on the server! Only my encoded page does not work.

I send only the first lines of the decoded attachment:

Correct file (original):
%PDF-1.4
%äöÜß
1 0 obj
<< /Length 2 0 R
/Filter /FlateDecode
>>
stream
xœ•ZËŽä¶Ý7ÐÿPë,êŠztuWí

Decoded file:
%PDF-1.4
%äöÜß
1 0 obj
<< /Length 2 0 R
/Filter /FlateDecode
>>
stream
xœ•Zˎä¶Ý7ÐÿPë,ê

You can see that the files very different in Line 2 and the last two lines.
But I cannot find out why and how I can prevent this error.

It looks like there are different character-sets, but I have no idea where I can find it or where I can set it for encoding.

best regards
Christian

This might be worth a try. Red Hat 8 and 9 both use &quot;en_us.UTF-8 &quot; encoding as the default system format. I have found this causes problems with many things. For example, when I ssh into RH8/9, many characters do not display properly on the man pages. This can also affect how Perl functions.

To fix this, I made a change to /etc/sysconfig/i18n

The default file reads

LANG=&quot;en_US.UTF-8&quot;
SUPPORTED=&quot;en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en&quot;
SYSFONT=&quot;latarcyrheb-sun16&quot;

I changed my file to read

LANG=&quot;en_US&quot;
SUPPORTED=&quot;en_US&quot;
SYSFONT=&quot;latarcyrheb-sun16&quot;

Doing so fixed all my problems. You might want to check which format Redhat 7.3 uses in its &quot;i18n&quot; file. If it is different from Redhat 8.0 try changing them to both be the same. At any rate, I would recommend setting both systems to &quot;en_US&quot; only and drop the &quot;UTF-8&quot;. It has caused me nothing but problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back