Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with legato backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjrono

MIS
Oct 31, 2001
SE
Hi!

Had problems during my backup during the night.

Backup started nice, but suddenly at one specific time, the backup started retry every server in my group. During a time of app 5 min. All my 5 retries was used, causing the backup to abort.

Anyone have any expirience, is this caused by network problem.

See clip of messages for one of the servers below, all 6 servers got the same messages during this short periode of time.

NetWorker Savegroup: (alert) DBFull completed, 6 client(s) (Client1, Client1, client3, client4, client5, client6 Failed)
Start time: Mon Jul 12 00:15:01 2004
End time: Mon Jul 12 07:21:19 2004

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---
* Cleint1:E:\ 5 retries attempted
* Cleint1:E:\ 07/12/04 04:34:51 nsrexec: Attempting a kill on remote save
* Cleint1:E:\ aborted due to inactivity
* Cleint1:G:\ 5 retries attempted
* Cleint1:G:\ 07/12/04 04:34:52 nsrexec: Attempting a kill on remote save
* Cleint1:G:\ aborted due to inactivity

--- Successful Save Sets ---
Cleint1: C:\ level=full, 869 MB 00:45:16 16191 files
Cleint1: D:\ level=full, 1397 MB 01:16:35 46414 files
Cleint1: F:\ level=full, 978 MB 01:16:39 1365 files
Cleint1: SYSTEM STATE:\ level=full, 12 MB 00:01:37 17 files
* Cleint1:SYSTEM DB:\ Removable Storage Database - rsmow: Exported the RSM database.
Cleint1: SYSTEM DB:\ level=full, 942 KB 00:00:21 13 files
Cleint1: SYSTEM FILES:\ level=full, 240 MB 00:07:45 1932 files
backupserver.x.x: index:Cleint1 level=full, 250 MB 00:02:51 299 files

Thanks in advance
Regards
Gjermund

Is the Removable Storage Manager Service disabled?

Hello!

Thanks for the answers, and sorry for late reply

1. The timeout for this group is 80 minutes
2. The Removable Storage Manager Service is running.

What does the Removable Storage manager service do?

I think iv located the problem. First i'l replace the SDLT tapedevice, i think its defective. And il also change Storage Node to another server.

Regards
Gjermund

Disable RSM first! This MS service is usually not needed and is causing more problems than you may think.

The issue is that NW may even work 'for a while' but will then cause unpredictable errors. Once this is suppressed you should monitor your system for other potential problems. But eliminate the known troublemakers first.

Hello again!

And thanks for the answare again.

Today my backup went fine. Had a hp technician here changing the defective tape device.

I'l try to stop the Removable Storage service.

Only one more question, we use dynamic drive sharing. Does this mean i must stop/disable the Removable Storage service on each of the servers.

And to be realy shure, it is the Removalbe Storage service

Thansk again

Gjermund

Yes, of course you mist disable the RSM service on all computers which access your backup server.

You don't need to disable RSM on all clients, just the servers and storage nodes.

Sure, that's correct. Of course you only have to do this where the BU hardware is attached.

Hi Again!

Legato Backup problems again.

My backup have run nicely for a couple of months now, but suddenly for 2 weeks ago something has went wrong again. This time it has to do with disabling the tapedrives. (Legato sets tapedrive to Service Mode)

It seems that when a tape is full and it is going to be ejected something is going wrong.

This doesnt happen all the time, it has happend 5 times the last 2 weeks and for 2 of my tapedrives

We have a Compaq 9000 series library with 4 SDLT tapedrives. Tapes in SAN.

I have added some lines from the messages log from yesterday. Anyone who know whats causing this. Can it be windows update?? Or hardware problem maybe.

Regards
Gjermund Røn

feb 09 00:24:30 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (warning) rd=oslpdo12.ifs.no:\\.\Tape3 writing: unknown error 1111 (0x457), at file 7 record 2896
feb 09 00:24:30 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (notice) sdlt tape ACZ622S on rd=oslpdo12.ifs.no:\\.\Tape3 is full
feb 09 00:24:30 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (notice) sdlt tape ACZ622S used 468 MB of 101 GB capacity
feb 09 00:24:52 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'IFSBackup' tape(s) on oslpdo12.ifs.no
feb 09 00:24:52 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (info) suggest relabeling ACZ558S on oslpdo12.ifs.no for writing to pool 'IFSBackup'
feb 09 00:24:52 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'IFSBackup' tape(s) on oslpdo12.ifs.no
feb 09 00:24:56 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (warning) rd=oslpdo12.ifs.no:\\.\Tape3 moving: tape_eject eject failed: unknown error 1 (0x1) (268435457)
feb 09 00:25:04 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (info) unload error for jukebox `rd=oslfs2.ifs.no:JB3' detected. Retrying
feb 09 00:25:04 oslpdc: NetWorker media: (info) unload retry for jukebox `rd=oslfs2.ifs.no:JB3': sleeping 30 seconds

As you can see, this has noting to do with the old problem -it looks more like a hardware problem with the jukebox and/or a media problem.

Please do not mix up issues.

Hi!

Thanks!

Next time i wil create a new thread.

Regards

Gjermund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back