Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Jaws/ttfont

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbiePA

Technical User
Aug 29, 2006
US
I have QuarkXpress 6.1 and have recently started saving more items as .pdf files, specifically newsletters and forms that I have to send to others who don't have Quark. I noticed that Quark has begun caching in the Jaws/ttfont folder large numbers of fonts that I have never had on my computer and that are cluttering up my font menu. I don't use any kind of font suitcase software. These fonts are also showing up on the font menu of Appleworks!! I have tried trashing the ttfont folder, but Quark just rebuilds it when I start it up again. I have read up on this problem in other forums, and I'm really getting frustrated. There are scores of unwanted fonts showing up in my font menus! I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere, short of re-installing the program. Anybody out there have a suggestion?

You might have multiple copies of the fonts active - stored in different folders - common with OSX.

Go to your applications folder and launch font book. It will indicate if you have multiple copies and allow you to disable duplicates.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

...you may wish to consider an upgrade to 6.5 downloadable here:

...If you’re having problems getting fonts that you’ve activated to show up in Quark XPress 6.0+’s Font menu, you’re not alone. Reports are that the issue stems from the “Jaws” technology used to create PDFs from Xpress.

A possible solution is to throw away the Applications/QuarkXPress 6.x/jaws/ttfont folder. This is a cache folder that Xpress uses to store fonts for PDF export. The problem is that Quark sometimes gets confused and uses it as the normal font menu...

...If you’ve upgraded Quark XPress 6.0 to 6.5, you may have a few fonts stop printing correctly. The fix appears to be deleting FontDownloadingXT and FontRetrieveXT Xtensions in the Applications/QuarkXpress 6.x/Xtension folder.

Quark can barely get a working application released anymore...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back