Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I am having problems installing the Windows XP on a laptop. After the installation which I chose to preserve the existing filles, the Windows was running very slow, it didn't restart nor shuts down, the only way was to plug the battery off the laptop.
Later I decided to format the drive and once again install the Windows. The same problem as above occured, and like last time I cannot install the drivers or anything. I can easily open the Explorer, Control panel window but can not make any action in them. During the both installations I couldn't even use the keyboard to type in! but somehow after a long struggle could type something to continue the installation.
Even If I try to look into the device manager it takes a long time to show it and then again it takes long time to open a device's specifications.
I dont know how to solve this problem, appreciate any help that can improve its performance.

This sounds like a hardware issue...

I would check the the DMA settings on the Drive, this can be found in the device manager usually under the ide controller...

I would also check the status of the HDD, by downloading the manufacturers tools, e.g. seagate or maxtor drive from seagate, Western Digital from Western Digital...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I have downloaded the test program for the driver which is a Hitachi, but it only does some tests and it hasn't shown any error with the disc. It doesn't even show any repairment functions in that program.

What should I ntice under DMA settings??

Are you using the original install media that came with this laptop or a different XP CD? The original media may have special drivers included for your laptop.

Does your Bios have any updates available, is it set to Safe Defaults, and does it have any Bios scanning running that you can disable. Did you run the Setup with things like Printers or USB drives attached? If so try, a removing any easily detached hardware.

Any clues in any of the Setup logs, or perhaps the Event Viewer, if accessible? Review the Setupapi.log file, the Setupact.log file, and the Setuperr.log file (in the %windir% folder) to try to determine any problems.

Windows Setup and Device Installation Logging

How does the machine perform from Safe Mode?

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD), to check out the hardware of the machine.

Linney:
- I am using an installation CD that was given together from a different laptop (of mine). The necessary drivers are not on this CD and have self downloaded them from Acer.com for that particular laptop which is an Acer. None of them have been installed so far as Windows is not functioning well on that laptop.
- Haven't checked for updates for the BIOS, I beleive its set to default mode as I haven't made any changes rather than choosing the 1'st boot drive.
- I can't search for any of those setup log files you mentioned as I can't type in anything at all!
Thanks for the links I will give it a try with the BartPE.

Where is the laptop's original CD or Recover CD, or does it even perhaps have an inbuilt Recovery Partition? It would be easier if you had the original CD designed for that Laptop.

This is based on a quote from a well respected MVP

"Laptop computers require specialized hardware drivers not found in the conventional "retail, upgrade" version of Windows XP. It would have been best if you had initially called HP support and ordered HP's version of Windows XP
Pro for your specific HP computer.
--
Carey Frisch
U.S.A."

This talks about other ways of adding the drivers.

How to add OEM Plug and Play drivers to Windows installations

about the keyboard, have you tried a seperate USB keyboard to see if it is a driver problem...

after a fresh install, the graphics drivers used are the build in VGA drivers from MS, and these will be SLOW as molasses...

It would also help to know what Laptop you have...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hello all, i'm new to this forum, looks like a good group. i've been struggling getting windows xp pro installed on a laptop that had vista on it, the vista install wasn't working out and now i am having trouble with the sata drivers, i have tried many recomendations and have been working on it for a couple days. some more help would be great.

gustavez,

Welcome, you should really start your own thread rather than piggy backing onto this thread, especially as from past experience, your question may evolve into a long and detailed answer and reply session which is not fair on the original poster.

See the comments at the end of this thread concerning the Bios and various compatibility settings for IDE and see if that helps

Installing WinXP Pro with SP2 on a SATA HD
thread779-1352505

To start your own thread.

Now I have tried it with a new hard drive and still facing the same problems as before!! what else can I do??

Did you ever get that BartPE CD created and running on your machine, if you did, and if that too had problems ruining on your Laptop, that would shift the emphasis from a Windows problem, to a hardware problem and a hardware problem might need a repair of the hardware to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back