Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with iMovie, Quicktime, Codecs and Final Cut Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnrBjotk

Technical User
Jun 29, 2010
NO
Hi,

bear with me 'cause this is a long saga of woe.

Two years ago I accidentally deleted Quicktime; I was unable to reinstall any Quicktime since OS X claimed it already to be installed. Without Quicktime I could not open or use iMovie. After a lot of message foruming (yes, I used it as a verb, big whoop, wanna fight about it?) I was able to reinstall/use Quicktime 10.0 by installing a OSX 10.6.8 Combo update (which included Quicktime 10.0). I thought all was right with the world.

Not so. Though I could open and use (edit, etc) in iMovie, I could not 1) Export video 2) Export to Quicktime 3) Share (upload) to Youtube with iMovie. The error message I received was: 'Could not perform action' (or similar semantics) and 'Error (-50)'. 'Error (-50) is, according to Apple's sites, an 'Error in user parameter list'. So I tried
1) Creating a new account and then starting iMovie = Same problem, no difference
2) Removing the 'com.apple.imovie.plist' (including com.apple.imovie8.plist and com.apple.iApps.plist) in the User > Library > Preferences Folder = Same problem, no difference, except library of videos being gone. I put the plist files back in the User > Library > Preferences folder

So: I thought I'd try a new editing program. Borrowing the disc from a friend, temporarily, I installed Final Cut Pro X. I performed the job I needed and tried to 1) Export video 2) Share/Export/Upload on Youtube.
This time I do not receive a '(-50)' error, but instead get 'No codec installed'.
I then ran an update on OS X, which, checking details, included a Quicktime and Final Cut Pro update.
Then something new happened. Neither iMovie or Final Cut Pro will open at all. They bounce for a while in dock, then claim to be open, though nothing shows on the screen. There isn't even the ubiquitous little glowing dot under the icon in doc. (I only know it is open because it appears in Force Quit app)

Now, I know you're busy, I know this is a lengthy and poorly written thread (and nobody hates that more than me) but this is all the info I have, and I do not know what to do. Please, please, help me out here. What is happening? I suspect some error in Quicktime or derivative codec; After all, Quicktime probably isn’t installed properly or some codec is missing. (I can open and play files in Quicktime, btw, but, the icon in dock is not the ubiquitous Quicktime logo, but one of those template mac application/program logo. You know, the lined sheets of paper with a pencil and a ruler, etc. Similar to the App Store icon/avatar)

Oh, and yes, I ran a Applications > Tools > Disc Utility > Verify Disc > Repair Disc (and Verify Rights and Repair Rights)

And I run/use a MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back