Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with getting new DAT file on ePO server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortenleth

Technical User
Jan 6, 2006
DK
I am having problems with my ePO server i can't get it to update the virus definitions.

As you can see i can get it to find out that there is a new DAT file, but it does not apply the file on the server?

There is no problem with opening a ftp connection to ftp.nai.com...

I'm not that familiar with McAfee ePO server, any help is apreciated. :)

/Leth

By the way, i forgot to mention that it is NOT because my IE is set to use proxy... ;)

Looking at the screenshot you've provided, it appears the latest DAT update is in your repository, but somehow ePO is not able to determine what is the latest available version.

I've seen something similar on my test ePO Server 3.6 and do not know the answer either, which is why I haven't upgraded my production server. (I'm not using a proxy so that should rule that out of mortonleth's problem.)

On my test server, the repository does have the latest DAT file version and when my test clients perform a DAT update from that test server's repository, the latest DAT file does get installed, but ePO still reports the DAT file is not the latest version.

I have not pursued the problem any further because of other projects I'm working on. Hopefully someone will have an answer as well.

Many thanks in advance!

Actually Sabre, that sounds indeed like my problem, cause my clients also have the new DAT files installed...
The version we are curently running is 3.6.0.5** something... can't remember and can't remote the server right now....

We have the same problem here.... if you look at the logs, you'll see that it is checking (if you have set it up right)... and it's as if... yes, it cannot confirm that the right version is there, OR, you already have it, so there's nothing to update, but rather than say it's up to date, it says that it failed.

If you look at what your screenshot says as well, it seems to not know what the latest available is :) hehe... ours looks exactly the same.

We are running our EPO downloads through a proxy server, and it IS downloading fine. All clients are updating as they should.

ePO 3.6 uses port 8801 for security threats. If you (like most enterprise environments) only allow internet access through port 80 and 443 there will never be a connection and ePO will always show the version from the installation package.
And you will never see a security threat.

We created a FMR at McAfee and if you also create one maybe they change it to a standard port. If only one customer wants it they probably change nothing, if a lot of customers want it...

Well... that can't be the reason.. cause i know that port i open inside out...
Can i check to see if the port is open???
Fx. telnet ftp://nai.com 8801
i know i can't use that one.. but just a try to tell what i mean... ;)

but the odds that that port is closed inside out.. is VERY small...

We have a similar problem like this, latest available dat-file is newer than the current dat-file. Looking in the repository shows an old dat-file:
Before installing patch 1 for ePO 3.6 the Server Task logs shows a lot of Pull FTP/HTTP tasks with a status of waiting.

After installing patch 1 the Server Task Logs shows a lot of Pull FTP/HTTP tasks with a status of Completed while the datfile is'nt updated.

In both cases after restarting service McAfee epo3.6.0 Application Server we were able to update the latest Dat-file for a few weeks. (Before installing patch 1 the status of waiting changed in Failed after restarting this service and after this the tasks runs normally).

I've open a case by McAfee.

Thanks sounds great...
ortegajl > could i get you to post the solution in this question.... that would be nice if you could... ;)

/Leth

Of course, I'll post the solution given to me by McAfee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back