Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Firebox 700 and PDF files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
It may be coincidental, but since installing our new firebox 700, some pdf documents won't display in Internet Explorer.

I've allowed pdf to pass, Acrobat starts, but all we get is a blank screen and a done message at the bottom.

Doesn't happen with all the pdf's, and some part of the document will display but not all.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks,

...Dave

What happens when you download the pdf rather than open it from it's location? Do you get to 99% completion and seem to hang?

If so which version of the WG software are you running? Additionally try unchecking from Internet Explorer "Use HTTP 1.1" from Internet Options under the Advanced tab.

This is a known issue with certain versions of the WG software but it corrected in the latest release (6.1 with hotfix).

Downloading seems to work fine and the document opens ok. It only seems to be a problem when viewing from the internet. The firebox is running Watchguard 6.1 B1208

I am running the current release which is 6.1 with hotfix 021118 (6.10 B2267). If you haven't downloaded the hotfix, it is worth it as things seem much more stable.

I know the hotfix corrected some download issues. I just checked the release notes but could find nothing specific. I can't say we haven't had any problems since the install of the hotfix though.

I'm certain this was not an issue in 4.1. The only thing that would really have changed since 4.1 would be your browser (since IE6 wasn't available then). Which browser/version are you using? Beyond what I stated above, I am not sure how to resolve that issue.

Additionally, have you tried placing a system in front of the firewall to see if the same behavior occurs? At least this way you can rule out the FB as a culprit.

I've experienced this problem a lot.

It's always been due to the safe content/application type.
Many sites do not have pdfs encoded as application/pdf.

I've had to allow many different content types but when I added multipart/* most problems went away.

Admittedly this massively reduces the effectiveness of the filter so I have a squid proxy behind the firebox to remove further unwanted file types that get past the firebox filters. Belt n braces :) $cd /pub
$more beer

I've configured application/* as per the company that set up the firebox for us. I've found that if I force acrobat to open the pdf outside of IE it works fine. If opened within IE, it doesn't.

...Dave

Yeh, found that saving the file file then opening works best.

It's not to do with activex or java as I've got those enabled.

I'm 100% (ish) certain that it's the content type that causes the problem.

When you opt 2 save the file does it suddenly bypass this ruleset??

$cd /pub
$more beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back