Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems With Final DVD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatociego

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
MX

After finishing a PP2 project, the DVDs I burn sometimes have 'sticking points' in playback on TV. That is to say that several frames will 'stick' for a second or two before continueing.

I export my finalized project as a DVD movie into My Documents. From there, I pick it up with Nero Vision Express and burn the final DVD disc. Is there another option that may prevent this 'sticking' problem?

How you make DVDs is up to you, but unless you have a good reason, why not use PPro2's facilities and eliminate the Nero step?

Three possibilities for you to ponder:

Data rate is too high. Try reducing the output quality.

Media is not ideal. Try another make/type of DVD blank and/or try burning at a slower rate.

Player can't cope in circumstances where other players might (sometimes cheaper is better). Try another player.

Hi Akribie

I thought I would try burning to DVD right out of my PP2 project, as you suggested (instead of using NVE). Two things with this:

1. I click on Export to DVD. The initial window comes up showing all the info. It is defaulted to High Quality, so, per your suggestion, I click Settings to lower the quality. The second window appears in order to change the quality settings- this window, however, overpowers my compu monitor screen. I can lower the quality setting, but, apparently, there is an OK button to click on the bottom of this window and, because the window is so big, I cannot access this OK button (I have tried everything to move the window up). So I have to go up and click on the X. This takes me back to the first screen, but without the lower quality setting.

2. Anyway, since I have never tried burning to DVD useing PP2, I thought I would try it (useing the High Quality setting) and see what happens. When the burn progress window appears, from the looks of the blue progress bar, I figure it will take about 8 hours to burn a DVD. Is this normal for PP2? I have the Pentuim Duocore2 processor with one Gig RAM and 160 Gig HD.

I think I tried this way back when, and that is why I opted for useing the NVE process- 22 minutes to burn a DVD.

Hi,

I have PPro 1.5, so can't help you with detailed aspects of PPro2, I'm afraid.

Burning a full single-layer DVD will take different times depending on the burn speed. At 4x, it takes somewhere around 20 minutes for a full disk.

If the user interface exceeds your screen size, a couple of thoughts arise:

What screen resolution are you using? 1024x768 is the minimum sensible for Premiere Pro. If your screen will take it, try higher resolution still (eg I run at 1280x1024 on each of dual 19" monitors).

Have you tried selecting one of the preset workspaces in case the layout settings have been disturbed?

Given the lack of other replies to this thread, if the above is no help, suggest you try the Adobe Premiere Pro 2 forum where other users may be better placed to help.

Hi Akribie

Lets say I need to continue using NVE for final DVD burning. Now, the situation is this:
We are initiating a business of filming special events such as weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, etc. After editing and titleing, we will be selling the finished DVD to friends and family of the special event. Therefore, of course, we certainly need for the DVDs to be playable on a variety of DVD playback machines.
How do they burn movie DVDs that are compatible with all players?

I forgot to mention;

I tried burning on a different brand of blank disc and at a lower quality (per your suggestion) but with the same results. It still freezes for a couple seconds maybe 9 or 10 times in a 45 minute video.
On one disc, the movie will not even open and we have a real difficult time even getting the disc drawer to open back up. We have to turn the player off and on a couple times before the drawer will reopen.

Sounds like an issue with your system somewhere, if the settings are all OK.

If you have a LiteOn or compatible burner, try downloading the free KProbe2 diagnostic and running it on one of your burned DVDs to see what the quality looks like.

Otherwise, if you are planning to do lots of this, maybe a replacement DVD burner (they are very cheap) would be worth a try?

FWIW, I also sell computer-generated DVDs on occasions. I started by using DVD-R blanks, but I am coming round to the idea of using DVD+R blanks and changing the book type of the writer to DVD-ROM, which is said to be more compatible with older stand-alone DVD players.

More info at

Your issue may be the media itself, as Akribie suggests. Assuming you are not recording on rewrites, there are two major standards for recordable single layer DVDs. One is DVD-R, the other DVD+R. I believe DVD-R has been around longer and is more universal on console DVD players. However, DVD+R should play on most console DVD players. If memory servers correctly, DVD-R media plays on approximately 92% of console players, while DVD+R plays on 90% of console players. You will have the check your DVD player documentation to see if one or both formats are compatible.

On top of that, the brand of media you purchase may also have an effect. A DVD-R by one brand may play better than a DVD-R from another brand, for example.

Regarding other people being able to play your custom DVDs, you are at the mercy of the percentages. The best thing to do is have a supply of both media formats so that in the case someone cannot play one format, you can simply replace it with the other. I've encountered this in the past.

You would think the industry would have learned better after the Beta-VHS wars.

Thank you both for your input.

I have been useing Verbatim LightScribe blanks. These are DVD+R. I have a couple other brands of DVD-R that I will try. Also, I have been useing the 'max' burning speed when in NVE. I am going to burn the next project useing the slowest burn speed offered. (once I get all editing finished in PP2, time is not an issue)
Hopefully, experimenting between the two types of diffent DVD blanks and the slower burn speed, I can get on top of this problem.
Thank you both again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back