Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with fc4700-1 no sync with the fibre channel switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewitz

Technical User
May 6, 2005
DE
hello i bought a fc4700-1 with no disk, but disks on the sp boards. i put 10 x 73 gb disk into the system. the system is comming up everything green, except one orange light inside the unit on each of the sp board but all other external lights are green. the problem is that the unit doesnt sync with the brocade switch. the switch shows a green constantly blinking light not a constant green light. so i cant find the unit. is there a way to connect to the system with the serial line like with the fc4500?
thx
kewitz

hello i got some more information the systems hangs
at the following point when booting

Starting loop initialization
Loop is initialized.....

Current Revision of PROM Kernel: 03.05.98
Revision of PROM Kernel on disk 0: 03.05.98
Revision of PROM Kernel on disk 1: 03.05.98
Revision of PROM Kernel on disk 2: 03.05.98

Cancelled update

Starting BIOS update [0]

Turned off Autoflash.....

Current Revision of BIOS: REV:01.21
Revision of BIOS on disk 0: REV:01.21
Revision of BIOS on disk 1: REV:01.21
Revision of BIOS on disk 2: REV:01.21

Cancelled update

AutoBoot Enabled! ByPass Auto Booting ([N],Y)? [0n

i was able to enter some commands at that point do i only have 3 seconds?
thx
kewitz

hello do i need the flare on the first 3 disk with the fc4700 too. or is it on the disks of the sp?
thx
kewitz

My understanding is that 4700's do not use FLARE.. So I would assume the OS is on the small HD on the SP.

dave

Flare is required by all Clariions. The on board drive on fc4700 clariions is a stripped down windows nt that is used for other functions. (Naviagent, ndu's, etc). Flare still needs to be loaded into the SP from the core drives.

Hmm.. Good to know..

Does the FLARE from a FC4700 work on a FC4500?

hello i am now a little more informed. there are two flares for the fc4700 1. nt and 2. vxworks. so the flare of a fc4500 doesnt work with a fc4700. the flare is initially loaded from the internal drives on the sp to the first three disks. after that load procedure the system is booted in the future from the first 3 disks. the problem is that the disks have to have 520 kbytes per sector and not 512 like the ones in the daes. so i have to find some disks with that size and it should work. if you have other information let me know. thx kewitz

DAE's attached to a Clariion DPE will have 520 sector formating.
DAE's not attached to a DPE will be 512 in most cases.
Flare is what runs the Clariion Storage Array. The FC4700 sp boots the nt disk. NT initiates the flare load from the core disks. NDU packages can be held on the NT disk and you can load a new revision of flare from that drive but it does not initially load flare into the sp. I've not heard of vxworks so I can't comment on that.

VXworks is a lightweight OS used in old Brocade switches, amongst other systems that require a small operating environment.

If I recall correctly, IP4700 FLARE is based on VXWorks.

So I think Kewitz is confusing the FC and the IP.

Please note, Kewitz, that the only thing the IP and FC have in common is the hardware, with the exception of the following:

-The two PCI slots hold FC HBAs in the FC4700, the two PCI slots hold an Ethernet NIC and a SCSI HBA in the IP4700
-The IP4700 doesn't require the 2.5" hard drives to boot, it boots from the flare drives like older FC's. The FC4700 boots from the 2.5" drive. Note that some IP4700's have the hard drives anyhow, it became easy for EMC to ship it in either case.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back