Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Excel formulas created in Excel 2003 failing in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2005
US
I have a user that has some 2003 Excel spreedsheets that he created that worked fine but are now failing to run the macros now that he has upgraded to Excel 2007. If he opens the file and runs the macro and then saves the file in the 2003 format then tries to reopen it he gets File error: data may have been lost. After getting the error if I look at the formulas they've been replaced with #N/A. I've tried it and the only way I can get the file to work is if I save it in the 2007 format then there are no errors when I open the file and the macro runs fine. This file needs to be saved in the 2003 format since it is being sent to a lot of our customers that are still on 2003 Excel. Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Go to Office Button, Excel Options, go to Add-ins and choose Analysis Toolpak and see if the formulas work.

Thanks

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

The end user also sent me this "The cell reference to another worksheet is lost (#N/A). The formula may still work, but since the cell reference is lost, the calculation does not work." Any ideas? Thanks.

I think it's just lack of oxygen, Nitrousman. User will need to figure out cell by cell where the references are wrong and fix them. Obviously something was deleted, changed, not available, lost, forgotten ...whatever

BTW, I am married: I have been wrong many times.

What doesn't make sense is that it works fine in 2003 so is this just a bug in 2007 that MS will have to fix someday?

Nitrousman, I have not heard of any problems with formulas not working. So, something is missing here. You haven't given enough information except that formulas don't work. If they work in 2003, then they should work in 2007. I am willing to look at the workbook if you upload it somewhere. But, I can't look at it till tomorrow night (8th may).

Office 2007 design sucks - yes
There are certain things that don't work as you expect - yes
but, formulas don't work - no

I'll check with the user to see if he's OK with me uploading the file for you to look at but I think it may have some confidential info. Thanks.

The user went back and reinstalled service pack 1 for Office 2007 and now everything works. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back