Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with domain / workgroup / DHCP / Fixed IP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc909

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
GB
I have a laptop that plugs into the domain at work and is set to get its IP from DHCP. I can share files between this laptop and other PCs on the domain.

The problem is that there is a PC at another location that this laptop needs to share files with - but only using a crossover cable. This other PC is not connected to any network. How can I share files between the laptop and the PC without needing to change IP addresses etc each time I plug in at a different location.

I cant really give the laptop a static IP when its on the domain....is there any way I can do this? Can I do something without using TCP/IP like Netbui and still share files...

Any ideas appreciated

Here this program might help you

it allows you to config your computer/laptop for multiple networks by using different profiles. You just have to select which one you want to use.

Win2k has a native utility called NETSH.EXE to do this. See this thread of last week: thread616-671260

Thanks for the replies. Used NETSH.EXE to do it - simple and effective. Just what i wanted.. thx bc

Hi,

bcastner I realy like that utility. 1 question though, will you need to run ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew to get the DHCP to authenticate the system on the network?

I believe NETSH does a full reset on its own, but what your are suggesting seems a wise idea.

I should note it should not matter at all if going from Static to DHCP. The only possible issue would be a "mid-stream" change DHCP-to-DHCP, and I have never tried it exactly in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back