Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with DoCmd Transferdatabase aclink 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl458

Technical User
Sep 30, 2009
US
Want to link to an SQL Server Express table using DOCmd in vba from ACCESS. I have changed some names for security, but the originales are correct-verified by me and others.

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "ODBC Database", "ODBC;Driver={SQL Server}; Server=POS1\SQLExpress; Database=sales; Uid=sa;Pwd=ralphy", acTable, "dbo.Transaction_Table", "Transaction_Table"

I get;

"SQL Server Error 4060
Server rejected the connection;Access to the selected database has been denied."

Been working on this off and on for weeks now. I just heard that DoCmd is unreliable. I can link to the tables using an ODbC DSN conection from the ribbon in ACCESS and it works fine. Just can't do it via vba. Plus, I can' find a connection string for linking tables with Set. The above example is supposed to DSNless.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jpl

Been all over that sight. I can't find any mention of linked tables, and nothing about DoCmd. DoCmd transferdatabase aclink seemms to be the forgotten bit of vba.

If I have missed something on that sight, let me know.

I did get an example from another web sight that I thought would work, but it was for earlier ACCESS and Windows 2003 and SQL Server 5 and was a no go.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

jpl

I would test the connect by creating a pass-through query with an ODBC Connection Str of:
Code:
ODBC;Driver={SQL Server}; Server=POS1\SQLExpress; Database=sales; Uid=sa;Pwd=ralphy
Set the SQL property to:
Code:
SELECT * FROM Transaction_Table
See if this returns records.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I tested the connection by using SQL Management Studio and established a connection the the server, and could see the tables etc. I'll give your test a shot as well

Thanks.

jpl

I was trying your connection, but had a problem with that. I am new to connection strins so bear with me. He is what I tried

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim myconn As New adodb.Connection

set myconn. open ODBC;Driver={SQL Server}; Server=POS1\SQLExpress; Database=sales; Uid=sa;Pwd=ralphy

This gives me a user defined error, missing something I bet.

Thanks

End Sub

What result did you get from the pass-through query?

Hints:
1) follow suggestions/steps from those who are attempting to help you
2) the connection string would need to be inside quotes

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back