Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkITMan

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
I have an internal DNS server as primary and and external as secondary. The problem I'm having is I have an Exchange Server with an internal and external address. The external DNS will not do a reverse lookup of the internal DNS. How can I fix that internally?

LMHOSTS has nothing to do with this. You need to create a reverse lookup zone on your external DNS server and manually create an appropriate PTR record for the Exchange server's external address.

Or create a new reverse lookup zone manually on the internal DNS, populate it as above, and have the external DNS secondary it.

ShackDaddy

A reverse lookup zone was created on the external DNS server and a PTR record for the Exchange server without any luck in sending out e-mail. Funny thing is I can e-mail back and forth to Microsoft tech all day, but not anywhere else. Makes me say hmmmmm.

Probably because whichever mail server you are trying to contact is querying your internal DNS server for the PTR, not your external server. Make your internal DNS server a secondary for the reverse lookup zone that you are hosting on your external server.

Finally, are you sure this problem is tied to your lack of a reverse lookup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back