Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with dbf files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluppeke

Programmer
Aug 30, 2006
BE
Dear Experts,

I have a problem I can't solve alone.

I did an upgrade from by vfp7 sp1 program to vfp9 sp1.

I also made a new setup procedure.

When I run on my computer (vfp9 sp1 complete installed) there are no problems.

On the computers of the users with xp sp2 and having runned my setup procedure I get in some cases the fault that a file is corrupt. These files are all coming from a program made in clipper with dbase IV files. (program is called CUBIC)

What did I forget to do in my setup procedure(install shield express 5.0 for visual foxprow), or is there an other problem ???

I already said in those forms to open these files shared en did say in the load of each form : set enginebehavior 70.

I am a little bit desperate.
Any help very welcome

Many thanks,

Filip merlier

Filip,

Have you tried opening the files within the VFP development environment, on a machine with XP SP2? That would at least tell you if the problem lies in the way you have installed the application.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Hello David en Mike and ....,

I open these files in the load of my formset like this

IF ! USED("ms02")
SELECT 0
USE f:\cubic\02\ms02 shared
ENDIF

In the Unload of a formset

select ms02
use

this is a file made in dbase IV

Can I find more about the error message.

I there a possibility to send to somebody the ise file for check or would it help to open these files for read only and would this be a solution ?

wfg,

Filip

Filip,

I had a look in the VFP help and there are several errors that refer to a file being corrupt or corrupted. Please would you say what error number you are getting.

Does the Clipper app get an error when trying to open the same file?

What happens if you try to open the file within VFP?

Stewart

Filip,

Did you try my suggestion of trying to open the files in the VFP development environment?

Also, I'd agree with Stewart. What happens when open the files in Clipper? And what exactly is the error message you are seeing?

Mike

I don't think VFP can read dBase IV files, so unless the tables were created in dBase III + format (even though it was dBase IV), you're going to have a problem.

Tamar

Dear Experts,

problem 1 : how can I see the exact error code ?

On screen I have :

Table 'f:\cubic\02\mc02.dbf' has become corrupted. the table will need to be repaired before using again.

When I open the table in vfp7 sp 1 : no problem, the same when I open the file in vfp9 sp 1 : on my pc where vfp9 sp1 is completely installed.
In vfp9 I have to say first : set safety off, then I can open and browse all these files

wfg,

Filip Merlier

Dear Experts,

The error code i got = 2091

Is set tablevalidate to 0 the solution ?

wfg,

Filip

Filip,

Is set tablevalidate to 0 the solution ?

I don't think that would solve the exact problem you described. If the table header is corrupted, setting TABLEVALIDATE to 0 will avoid the check, but it won't get rid of the corruption. But it's certainly worth a try.

If doing so indicates that the table header is corrupted, you can sometimes cure it by using low-level file access to rewrite certain bytes in the header. You can also use a third-party repair tool, which is usually easier.

Mike

Hi Mike

>>If the table header is corrupted, setting TABLEVALIDATE to 0 will avoid the check, but it won't get rid of the corruption. But it's certainly worth a try.

A more accurate statement would be that "If VFP thinks the table header is corrupt....." I have seen plenty of cases where TableValidate() gives a false error and generally I prefer to turn it off anyway.

----
Andy Kramek
Visual FoxPro MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back