Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with dates etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OccasionalCoder

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
I've got a table with first_name, Last_name, Start_year, End_year, TwoStart_year, TwoEnd_year.

I am passing through the url a 4 digit number representing the year.

The url.year can be either a start_year, or a twostart_year.

I tried:

<cfquery name="get_pastfellows" datasource="#db#" username="#un#" password="#pw#">
select * from copyfellows
where end_year is not null and start_year = '#url.year#'
order by last_name
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="get_two" dbtype="query">
select * from get_pastfellows
where twoend_year is not null and twostart_year = '#url.year#'
</cfquery>

I need to convert the url.year (4 digit string) into a date and have it output the name information when either case (start_year or twostart_year) is defined in the url. I tried using createdate and dateformat and nothing seems to work.

I'm relatively inexperienced at this and have tried everything I can think of but it doesn't work.

I greatly appreciate any help.

Always use cfqueryparam when passing variables to a query. It makes it way more secure and it takes care of little problems like this.
Code:
<cfquery name="get_pastfellows" datasource="#db#" username="#un#" password="#pw#">
where end_year is not null and start_year = <cfqueryparam value="#url.year#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE">
order by last_name
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="get_two" dbtype="query">
select * from get_pastfellows
where twoend_year is not null and twostart_year = <cfqueryparam value="#url.year#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE">
</cfquery>

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies, LLC

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

I've simplified the query to:

where end_year is not null and start_year = <cfqueryparam value="#url.year#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE">
order by last_name
</cfquery>

But I get no data returned. Is there someway that the url.year has to be formatted so that the db understand that the date represents a year rather than ddmm?

Thanks again.

I'm getting really confused on this...It's probably pretty simple, but I've been looking at it a long time.

Here's my table:

Last_name First_name Start_year End_year Twostart_year Twoend_year
Mertz Fred 05/10/1989 05/11/1990
Norton Ed 04/04/1990 06/20/2004
Arnaz Desi 02/24/1999 03/20/2001 05/03/2002 07/03/2004

What I want is when the date link for 2004 is clicked (passing the string 2004), the data shows up for everyone who ended on the 2004 end_year date or 2004 twoend_year date. When I use the cfqueryparam in the query, it returns nothing.

Thanks

Try this:
Code:
where end_year is not null and [red]year(start_year)[/red] = <cfqueryparam value="#url.year#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE">
order by last_name
</cfquery>
All I did was put in a Year() function. You need to tell the database that you only want to compare years. The way you had it originally, the query would read "Where 07/03/2004 = 2004".

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies, LLC

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Thanks, Ecar, for the help.

This is really peculiar, though.

Using your code above, when the link that passes the date is clicked, the data presented is off by two years, i.e.

I clicked on 1998 and I get the data for 1996. It works this way for every date I have listed. 2000 gives you data for 1998, 2004 for 2002, etc.

I double checked the date passed in the url and it's correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back