Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Business Suite Module for Exchange 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Till

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
CH
Does anyone know a solution for this ?

We´re trying to back up a Widows NT 4 Server running MS Exchange Server 5.5 SP3. Everything works fine but we
cannot backup particular Mailboxes during scheduled backups.
We can only do manual backups at the moment.
The Server always tells me that Legato does not have sufficient access rights on the Server´s databases. But whe I use the savesets msexch:IS and DS everything works fine.
The saveset msexch:MB fails.
The Admin Guide tells me that during the installation of the client software for Exchange you should enter the user
and password that has full access rights to the databases,
but actually the setup of the software runs without prompting for that.

Maybe the service needs to be modified to have that usr log it in rather than a system account. I don't do mailbox level backups so I don't know the answer, but a system account does not have the same access level as an Exchange admin account.

Thanks a lot.

I have already thought about this and at the moment I use the account of the Exchange Admin to backup the server, but
without any success. Next I´ll try LGTPA 2.003 and we´ll
see if it helps. I have already tried 2.004, but the
installation aborted with a error message.

Hey Till

We are doing single mailbox backups and you HAVE to use the exchange service about to get access to the single mailboxes.. The system account can backup the exchange DB's but is cannot get the access into the DB's to get the single mailboxes.. You need to use the service account to get them.

When you setup and are going to do single mailbox use the service account to back up everything.

Stephen

Thank you Stephen !

I startet the Networker Remote Acess Service with the Exchange_Admin account, but it simply won´t work. But if
I use Networker User for Exchange I can backup everything
manually.
Can anybody tell me what and how to enter the values in
the remote access field in the client ressource ?

Exchange backup of individual mailboxes is extremly confusing. However, I have managed to do 600 mailboxes in a night with successful recover. A few tips:

1. Start the Networker service on Exchange with the Exchange Admin user (make sure this user has full access to the filesystem as well to get the FS backup of the box too).

2. You can only backup about 30 mailboxes at a time. I have a script I will give anyone who needs that takes the Exchange address book and creates files with 30 mailboxes a piece. then in the remote / backup command do nsrxchsv.exe -I <path>\inputX.txt. (Note: you must have enough free space on the exchange server to hold 30 mailboxes worth of space at a time -- essentially the agent creates .pst files for each mailbox and then backs those up) And leave Saveset Blank.

3. then create one client for each input file and create one group per client and kick them off 30-40 minutes apart depending on your speed (you DO NOT want to have two groups running at the same time -- trust me on this).

4. When you go to do a recover you MUST log in to the server as the Exchange Admin user and run the GUI to restore. After the mailbox has been restored, go into the user's exhange box and you will see a new folder called &quot;Recovered items&quot; that now contains the restored data (this actually allows you to restore one message if you want).

You may contact me directly for more help at pinner_blin@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back